Written by Momcent's Mom, Krista Felker
I might be weird, but I actually don't mind grocery shopping. I like shopping in general, so that probably helps. But after watching friends try the online grocery ordering and pick-up for years, I recently gave it a try and am IN LOVE. I have been doing my shopping at Walmart where it is free. Fred Meyer also offers the same service that is free your first 3 times then charges $4.95 each time. Here is why I love it and some tips I have learned along the way.
- The website is easy to use. I type in "refried beans" and it lists all of them they have. I find the one I want and add it to my cart.
- The website asks me at the end if I need any of the items I frequently order. If I don't order milk like I usually do, it asks me if I need it in case I forgot.
- I can sit down at my computer and make my shopping list (for someone else to find for me) in the comfort of my own home and can get up and look in fridge or cupboard if I am on not sure if I have an item or not.
- I can choose the time/day I want to pick it up. I usually do it the night before I want to pick it up and have never had a problem finding a time slot that works for me.
- They give you an hour time range when your groceries will be ready, say between 9-10 a.m. and I have always received a notification that my order is ready at the beginning of the hour.
- Once you pull up into your grocery pick-up parking spot, you let them know via the app what parking spot you are in. They usually come out with your groceries within a few minutes. One time it took them quite a while to come out, I think they were having problems with the app that day. I went on the website and told them that the service was slow that day and they sent me $10 off my next order.
- They will substitute items and upgrade for free. If they are out of an item, they replace it with something similar. You can decline the replacement- I wanted peanut butter crackers for my kids and they replace with cheese crackers from the same brand and I declined knowing they wouldn't like them. But they have also upgraded my milk from a half gallon to a gallon and only charged me for the half gallon. They do not substitute without asking your permission before you sign off on the final bill.
- I have found that I am saving a ton of money by using this service. I only purchase what I need. No impulse buying (which I am the queen of!) I spend about $50 on our weeks' worth of groceries (which is usually closer to $100 due to me grabbing extra things not on the list.) It's easy to use, convenient, time-saving and saves us money.
Grocery pick-up is a win-win-win-win for me and my family. I encourage you to give it a try!