Being an educated consumer allows you to shop with confidence. Keep these tips in mind during your holiday shopping sprees so you don't pay more than what you bargained for!
- Frequently check your credit union account and report any suspicious activity to us right away.
- Keep a list of all credit card account numbers in a safe place, so you can report it immediately if they are lost or stolen.
- At the cash register, protect your PIN by blocking the keypad from the view of cashiers or other customers.
- Some non-metal keypads have heat sensors that are active for several minutes after you enter your PIN, and infrared cameras on smartphones can be used to obtain your PIN. We suggest resting your fingers on other keys as you enter your PIN.
- Do not use public WiFi networks for online purchases.
- Shop on sites with https:// in the URL, and be sure that an icon with a lock appears to the left. The "s" stands for "secure" and indicates communication with that site is encrypted.
- Type the merchant's address directly into your browser; avoid links.
- Use complicated passwords with at least eight characters. Include numbers, special characters, and upper and lower-case numbers.
- Keep the antivirus and security software updated on your computers and mobile devices.
- We recommend that you don't store your payment information on shopping sites or shopping apps.
When you go shopping, park in well-lit areas. Walk to and from the stores with your head up and be watchful. Often times people who are up to no good look for people who are not paying attention. Keep your keys in your hand so you can hit the panic alarm if you need to. Unfortunately, tis the season for pickpockets, too. Keep wallets in zipped purses and front pockets.
Compare Online Deals
What a wonderful timesaver online shopping is! We know a lot of sites will claim to have great deals, but they may not have the lowest price. If you find something you like, do a little comparison shopping by using sites such as Google Shopping or Pricewatch.com.
Give Yourself a Gift
Invest in you this holiday season. Open a new savings account, take financial education classes, or look for low-interest loans to help you achieve your financial dreams this coming year. Come see us at 601 W. Mallon Ave. or visit us online for more possibilities!